One of the world’s largest publicly-traded engineering, procurement, construction and maintenance companies.
Opportunity, Audiences, & Objectives
As a FEMA contractor installing temporary housing in 62 Louisiana parishes in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the Fluor Corporation regularly communicated with a wide range of national, state and local audiences. Bond PR and Brand Strategy helped design and manage Fluor’s public relations program to ensure key messages were consistently conveyed across all audience groups.
- Local, state and national media
- City, parish, state and national elected officials
- Louisiana regulatory agencies
- Key community and business leaders throughout Louisiana
- FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security
- Fluor subcontractors
- 4000 Fluor employees involved with the project
- 160,000 residents of temporary homes installed by Fluor
- Maintain an open line of communication with target audiences
- Maintain a positive image of Fluor throughout all Louisiana community segments
- Media relations
- Continual proactive and reactive media outreach (print, broadcast, internet)
- Public Affairs
- Weekly conference calls with mayors, parish presidents and the Louisiana Congressional Delegation
- Regular communication via letter, call and/or meeting with members of the Louisiana State Legislature
- Community Relations
- Active participation with not-for-profits, including Ronald McDonald House
- Frequent communication with various community leaders
- Internal Communications
- Consistent communication with all employees and subcontractors through safety meetings, Fluor-sponsored activities and letters
Results & Impact
The company enjoyed firmly-established goodwill across all audience groups. Positive relationships were established with several mayors, nearly every parish president, the Louisiana Congressional Delegation, many members of the Louisiana State Legislature and within the news media throughout the state.
Fluor employees and subcontractors installed temporary housing for Louisiana hurricane victims more effectively, efficiently and safely than any other FEMA contractor. Effective communications played an integral role in Fluor’s success.
New Orleans HQ
3308-B Magazine Street New Orleans, LA 70115